The Casa Museo Palazzo Sorbello, Studio Moretti Caselli, and Giuditta Brozetti are historically significant to the city of Perugia and the Umbrian Region. These three museums have the same purpose: to preserve their traditions, to inspire appreciation for the Italian culture, and to encourage the understanding of its history. In these places, visitors are able to observe change throughout time by their collections and crafts, see the ingenuity of the women, and examine the physical structures that project their own stories. We invite you to marvel, wander, and reflect the experience of being thrown back in time and see Perugia as it was in the past.
- From Studio Moretti Caselli to Casa Museo Palazzo Sorbello: 10-15 minutes walking distance
- From Casa Museo Palazzo Sorbello to Giuditta Brozzetti Museo Laboratorio: 15-20 minutes walking distance
- Tour Duration of 3 Museums: 2 hours 30 minutes
- note: tours may be split to two or more days
Workshop – Museum Moretti Caselli (Stained Glass)
The building that now contains the Studio Moretti Caselli was one of the houses of the influential Baglioni Family of Perugia in the 1500s. Evidence of the family’s wealth can be seen on the frescoed arches that remains in the studio to this day. Francesco Moretti converted this once stately home into his studio in 1859 and started his business in the art of creating stained glass. The business, along with its traditions and techniques, has been passed down through the generations. The current owners, Elisabetta and Maddalena Forenza, are only the most recent in a long line of female artists. The original techniques used by Moretti are still used but continue to adapt to modern methods.
In the museum, the important works from the past centuries are displayed along with sketches and machinery of the 20th century. One of the most notable items is the hand-painted portrait of Queen Margherita by Francesco Moretti completed in 1881.
Via Fatebenefratelli 206121 Perugia, Italy
Phone: +39 0755720017
Reservations: +39 340 7765594
Casa Museo di Palazzo Sorbello
The Casa Museo Palazzo Sorbello is the only house museum in Umbria. It was the residence of the influential noble family, Marchesi Ranieri Bourbon di Sorbello. Over time, the family accumulated a variety of collections that correspond to the different interests of members of the family. The museum, with its broad array of artifacts, represents the cultural memories and feelings of the inhabitants.
One of the most important collections is the historical library which contains an assortment of literature including the 1770 edition of the Encyclopedie Francaise by Diderot and D’Alembert. There is an extensive art collection consisting of paintings from prominent Italian and foreign artists as well as various unique porcelain sets, consisting of: a complete Ginori table service from the 18th century and an original Chinese table service dating back to the Qianlong period. Along with these collections, there is a room dedicated to the Marchesa Romeyene Robert and the Ranieri di Sorbello School of Embroidery, which employed the inventive historic technique known as the Umbrian Point, now known as the Sorbello Point.
Uguccione Ranieri di Sorbello Foundation
P.zza Piccinino, 9 – 06122 Perugia, Italy
Phone: +39 075 5732775
The Giuditta Brozzetti Museo Laboratorio di Tessitura Manuale was founded in 1921 by Giudittta Brozzetti and is one of the few remaining hand-weaving workshops in Italy today. The technique of creating textiles is a family tradition that has been handed down through four female generations. The textiles continue to be woven on wooden Jacquard looms, which were prominent in the beginning of the 19th century. In modern society, textiles and fabric are often mass produced so the Giuditta Brozzetti Museo Laboratorio represents a life before industry and the value of handmade products.
The museum/laboratory is located in the first Franciscan church in Perugia, built around the year 1212. It later known as the Women’s Church of Saint Francis after being passed on to the Benedictine Sisters of Sant’Angelo. After changing hands several times, it was eventually realized as a workshop for hand-made textiles.
Via Tiberio Berardi, 5/6 – 06123 Perugia, Italy
Phone: +39 07540236
Fax: +39 07541656
Mobile: +39 3485102919
Delivered to you by Umbra Institute students: Becky E., Bethany B., Samantha R.P., Dao La